Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tornados and Hail and Fires...oh my!

Dorothy said, "lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" But today I'm saying, "tornados and hail and fires, oh my!" Why? You may ask, well today has been full of fires and hail, thank God no tornado watches or warning...not yet anyways. So we woke up to a typical sunny and HOT Oklahoma day, the day was going great...Josh working away and me unpacking, cleaning and organizing still ( I got my teacher's corner all set up!) but as I was saying things were going great....then Josh rushes downstairs and I outside...he comes back in and goes back upstairs to work, again he rushes down the stairs and go outside....I ask,"What are you doing?" He replies, "Haven't you heard anyone of those sirens? A fire truck just drove through the parking lots." Me, "Josh, I just moved here from Chicago...sirens don't phase me anymore." So we both go outside to see what's going on...over across the way, in the apartment complex next to us, all we can see is black, black smoke shooting up into the sky! It was bad! We walk a little further down from our apartment where we can now see that it's coming from an apartment building on the far side of the other complex...fire trucks, people, and camera crews were everywhere!! At this point we can see the orange flames shooting up along with the black smoke. Well about an hour and a half or so of watching, going back to the aparment to watch the news about it, and watching it some more we decide we are going to go home....it was very sad but luckily we don't think anyone was hurt. By now it was about 5:00 p.m. and we had plans to go meet Josh's friend Bruce for dinner down at Moe's. Before we could leave I needed to shower though because it's June in Oklahoma which means it's at least 100 degrees outside. So, after I am all done we leave to go meet Bruce....the men are talking and I'm listening, we get our food, we eat and then all of a sudden the workers run to the window....it's hailing!!! Being a yankee, as they all call me down here, I'm not used to this, so in a panic I hand Josh my keys saying, "GO DO SOMETHING!" Still in a panic I walk to the back of the restaurant, where no one can hear me freaking, and I call my dad asking him what I'm suppposed to do. Well I hang up, go back out and it's still hailing. Josh asks if I am ready to go, so in the midst of the hail we dart to the car. We drive home and I could only wish I could have recorded the sound the hail was making on the roof, hood, and trunk of my car. I mean we were both ducking down in the car as if it was going to hit us. Finally, we get home and Josh says, "That's really bad." And before I can even look I get all upset...as you can imagine. I mean you hear it on your car, but it doesn't actually occur to you that your car is being beaten up. So, as I sit here now...trying to calm down, watching Psych with Josh...I hope and pray that my call to Rich tomorrow morning is, "Don't worry, Mo...we'll get it all taken care of for you."

Let's hope tomorrow is a less eventful day because in the less than 48 hours I've been here, not including my eventful roadtrip here, there have been way too many events that have me asking Josh when we get to move back to Illinois. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment